Sunday, February 22, 2015

Laura Trott wins omnium silver at Track World Championships


Laura Trott took silver in the omnium as Britain finished without a gold medal at the Track World Championships for the first time since 2001.

Olympic champion Trott finished behind Australia's Annette Edmondson to earn a third successive world omnium silver.
Britain also won two silver medals in the team pursuit events in Paris, but have failed to match the two golds claimed in Colombia last year.
"I think we're moving forward," Trott, 22, told BBC Sport.
"It's always hard to tell where you're at because even at World Cups people don't always put out their strongest teams.

BBC Sport's Chris Boardman on GB's struggles :

"It's actually very good for the sport. Yes, we want to win everything, but if you get one nation that dominates it can destroy the sport because other nations won't invest in it. But they have invested and it's paying off.
"I think it's good for all of us, it makes it very exciting to watch and we're not quite sure what the result will be. I don't think we're going to see eight gold medals again but I expect GB, certainly in the endurance side, to be competitive once we get to Rio."

"I think we've definitely moved forward since last year - obviously we won a gold medal then and we haven't this year, but I think you'll see in the times that we have come on. Slowly but surely we'll get there.
"This time before London 2012 was the Apeldoorn Worlds and I came 16th in the omnium, so way down. I think we will come, it's there, it's just getting it to come together on the day."
Trott had always been playing catch-up in the six-discipline omnium after finishing 13th in the opening scratch race on Saturday, but she worked her way into contention for gold on day two.
She came fifth in the fourth discipline, the 500m time-trial, and was third in the flying lap, but could not overhaul the impressive Edmondson in the closing points race.
"I'm really happy, to be honest," added Trott. "After the scratch race I think a lot of people had actually written me off and didn't think I had the form.
"At the end of the day a silver medal at the World Championships is really good, I am pleased with where my form is at.
"I think I've got some work to do in some of the events - the 500m let me down this time, which is not normal for me, that's one of my stronger events.
"But it will come together and I am really pleased to get the silver medal."
Stay with us and be prepared!

0 comments:

Post a Comment